High heels are a girl’s best friend. They help you to stand up taller, look slimmer, feel more confident and elegant. I love the way I move when I wear heels, that’s why most of the time, you won’t catch me without them. That’s why I believe it’s important to learn how to walk in high heels.
However, walking in sky-high heels can be a little tricky, especially if you’re not used to it. Don’t worry though, learning to walk confidently, elegantly and fearlessly inheels just takes a little practice.
Follow these helpful tips and in no time, you’ll be strutting like a model on the runway:
1. Take shorter steps. Walking in heels isn’t like the walking you learned when you were a child, so you have to do a few things that you wouldn’t do with walking in flats or barefoot: Take short, slow steps, making sure not to bend your knees any more than you normally would. It really is not a great sight to see when some ladies bend their knees whilst wearing high heels. The taller the heel, the shorter the stride ends up being. Don’t force taking bigger steps, stick with shortsteps, which will make your walk look more natural and help you to feel more comfortable, confident and elegant.
2. Walk from heel to toes. Aim to walk as normally as possible in your high heels. Pretend you are walking in flats, but slower. Just as you would normally walk, put your heel to the ground first, followed smoothly by your toes. Then, once your weight is on the balls of your feet, shift your weight forward as if you’re walking on your tip toes, and push forward for the next step. It might look silly at first but you will get used to it.
3. Improve your posture. Wearing heeled shoes shifts your centre of gravity, and your lower back arches in order to compensate for it. Try these tips;
• Hold your head upright—Always look up and straight ahead when walking in high heels, avoid looking down!
• Put your shoulders back and down and keep your arms relaxed whilst you walk. Swing your arms slightly as you walk for balance.
• Suck in your tummy when walking or standing in heels. This makes you look taller and slimmer
4. Imagine walking along an invisible line.This way you are walking straight and not all over the place. Modelsoften cross one foot slightly in front of the other to give their hips more sway. The best way to achieve a sway while walking in high heels is to pretend that you’re walking down an imaginary straight line. Walk by placing one foot directly in front of the other. Practice as often as you can.
5. Practice wearing your heels around the house. Wear your heels for a day around the house before you wear them out. This will not only allow you to get used to wearing them, but it will also make them less slippery. Do everything you would likely do when you wear them out. This will also reduce blisters and help your shoes mould to the shape of your feet.
Wearing high heels is fantastic and a great confidence booster. With practice and these tips, you will only want to wear them all the time.
ABOUT THE WRITER
Tewa Onasanya is the Publisher and Editor in Chief of Exquisite Magazine.
Founder/CEO, YD, Yetty Ogunnubi has been appointed as the new Head of Tactical Marketing and PR team at Clooper, a tech-driven platform that connects house owners, landlords, tenants, and trade service providers together to solve all property management needs in the UK.