Talk about waking up to the sweet goodness of hot cross buns. This delicious treat would have your taste buds tingling in so many different ways. The best part is that you can easily make it in the comfort of your home. So let’s talk about how you can easily make cross buns at home.
HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE
To make 12 homemade spiced buns, you ll need;
2tsp Mixed Spices
1 lemon grated
10g Active dried yeast
1 large egg
Oil for greasing
1. 75g Flour
2. 100ml water
3. 2 tbsp Golden syrup
Read More – Why Breakfast Is The Most Important Meal Of The Day
HOW TO MAKE SWEET HOMEMADE CROSS BUNS
1. In a large bowl, mix flour,sugar,spices,cinnamon and lemon zest. Add salt and yeast in at opposite sides of the bowl. (Salt and yeast shouldn’t mix)
2. Melt butter and warm the milk. Add melted butter and half of the warmed milk. Add the egg. Mix by hand to incorporate. Add remaining milk in bits just until dough is pliable
3. Tip dough unto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10minutes. Add
raisins by hand and knead together
4. Lightly oil a bowl and leave dough to proof for 1hr30mins covered with a napkin or cling film
5. Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper
6. Turn dough out and knead for 1 min. Divide into 12 equal parts. Each
one should weigh btw 75-78g each.
7. Roll each dough into a ball and place in rows close to each other on the tray.
8. Allow to proof for another 30-45mins in a warm environment. I use my unheated oven for 45mins
9. Make the topping. Add the water to the flour and mix. Put into a piping bag with the writing nozzle or simply cut the tip of the piping bag.
10. Take the proofed dough out of the oven or where u leave it to proof and line each dough with a cross
11. Put the dough in the oven for 15mins on, always watch and turn the tray for even cooking. When bun is slightly browned,bring out of oven and using a brush,rub the
syrup on each bun to give it a good shine.
12. Pop in the oven for 5mins and voila…we are ready.
Try out this recipe and show us how it turned out. Tag us on Instagram @exquisitemag
Judith “Chef Jay” Airiohuodion is the
Owner of Dessert Expressions; Self taught pastry chef, Serial Entrepreneur and Mother.